We all love our families, but sometimes it can be hard to hold your tongue when different family members say things to you.
Lucky for you, we have some tips and tricks to get you through that Thanksgiving dinner or Christmas shopping.
Step Away From The Chaos
The holidays are about spending time with family and friends, but sometimes they could drive you insane. Stepping away for a moment can help you compose yourself and could make the holidays more enjoyable for you. Everyone loves their family, but space is a necessity.
Make Your Answers Fun For You
We all have that one drunk aunt or uncle talking to you about your personal life. I don’t mean the personal normal stuff, I mean the personal PERSONAL stuff. “When are you going to start dating somebody?” or my personal favorite, “What are you going to do with your major?” Here are some comebacks to help you out. When your drunk family member asks when are you going to start dating, tell them, “when are you going to have a real marriage.” Even better answer to the question, “I’m actually going to join the clergy. Can I get a Hallelujah?!” When family members start asking you about your future, just hit them with some answer they would never expect. “I think I’m actually going to drop out and start my career in professional triangle playing.” Always a great one. “I think I want to join a circus and become a clown, like you!” also will get the extended family to stop asking about your career.
Have a Friendsgiving before or after Thanksgiving to celebrate the family you choose. Everyone in your life is there for a reason, so take time to appreciate the friendships you have. My friends and I had our Friendsgiving this past weekend and it was great to celebrate friendships old and new. Aren’t we adorable!
Enjoy the Holiday!
Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to be with those you love. Good food, football, the parade, there’s nothing better. I know one thing I’m looking forward to is seeing family members I haven’t seen in months and also getting to meet my new baby cousin, Henry. Have a great Thanksgiving and let’s get ready for the most wonderful time of the year.
If Sometimes You Want to Say Less, or Just Need to Breathe We Have Some Tips for That Too!
- Counting backwards from 15 helps calm down anxiety and gives you a second to clear your mind and negative thoughts.
- Text a cherished friend. No one understands you like the friends you chose.
- Grab a favorite family member, we know you have one. They understand your family and all better then any friend could. They also know how to make light of the situation and a fun time.
- Your fur- family member is always there to put a smile on your face and help you decompress from all of the family stress.
- Dress to impress! Look good, feel good! Or if you just want to kick it in your sweats that is great too!
Regardless how you survive the holidays, make it fun and enjoy the time with family and friends. The holidays are meant to be celebrated with joy and not stress, so enjoy our tips!