Along with the excitement of college can also come stress. Unfortunately, this can lead to binge eating unhealthy snacks and rushed meals. However, this routine does not have to become a lifestyle! There are many ways to eat healthy here at Saint Joseph’s University, both on and off campus, and here are just a few.
- Avoid foods that are high in sugar. Try fruits for a beneficial sugar intake, as opposed to processed sugar found in junk food.
- Stock your fridge with clean food options such as fruits, vegetables, and lots of water.
- Substitute the usual potato chips or cookies for something lighter, such as a simple snack like avocado toast. Learn how to make it down below!
DINING HALL HACKS:
- All-Day Smoothie Station: This new addition to the dining hall features fresh fruits, spinach, yogurt, and a selection of juices to choose from. A Campion staff member will create your smoothie right in front of you.
- Stir-Fry Station: Also new to the Campion menu, here you are able to customize your stir fry meal with your favorite ingredients! Choose from tofu, white rice, carrots, peas, and more.
- Sandwich Station: This area of campion usually has a long line, but it is definitely worth the wait! Choose between a sandwich or wrap, with condiments like sriracha mayonnaise, honey mustard, and ranch. The lunch meats vary from day to day but usually consist of turkey, ham, tuna, chicken, and chicken salad. There are also green toppings such as spinach and lettuce.
HEALTHY EATS OFF CAMPUS:
- Honeygrow: Located just over one mile away from SJU, this is a place that is known for its healthy options. You can catch the shuttle to the ACME stop to head over to Honeygrow. Try customizable salads, stir-frys, organic juices, and healthy desserts.
- Sweetgreen: Found nearby in Ardmore, the Sweetgreen menu varies with each season because their brand depends on fresh food from local farmers. The menu features warm bowls, salads, and a make-your-own option.
- Saladworks: This restaurant is known for its clean salad bar! Here, you can try one of the featured salads or simply customize your own. Saladworks also offers healthy soups and sandwiches.
By applying these tips and hacks to your diet, your life as a hungry college student will be influenced greatly. Eating clean has a big impact on the way you look and feel. A healthy hawk is a happy hawk!